- Location: Solutia UK, Corporation Rd, Newport NP19 4XF
- Size: 2 turbines, 120 and 130m to tip, 4MW capacity
- Current Status: Operational
- Turbine Model: Nordex N90
- Project Owner: Resonance Asset Management LLP
Company: Solutia UK Ltd is a specialist chemical company acquired by Eastman Chemicals in 2012.
Challenges: Solutia wind turbine project was a technically challenging development. Located on a COMAH site development had to be undertaken with a number of restrictions, in addition to the site being surrounded by multiple utilities. You may have noticed that one turbine is 10m shorter than the other? This is because the proposed M4 relief road passes to the south of the site and the Welsh Assembly Government placed a set back distance restriction. The Solutia project is testimony that ecology can thrive in the most unlikely of places. For the Solutia project newt fencing was constructed, a newt underpass, a new hibernacula and 4 new ponds to protect and enhance the habitat for the great crested newt.